Skip to main content

Day 11 ~ Gratitude

Last winter I began reading Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts. At the time I was inspired by her words yet not until many months later would I realize how daily thanksgiving would carry me through some of the hardest days of my life. I would clearly see God's blessings which would comfort me while in the midst of fear and heartache.

Some may know this story. I apologize if you've tired of it but I never tire of remembering God's faithfulness! My daughter was involved in a car accident, an accident in which many rescue workers on the scene believed would result in fatalities. But God spared my daughter and her friend. The road to recovery could have been much longer for these girls yet they both keep impressing their doctors with the strides that they have made.
My daughter was the passenger in this car. When I first saw this my mind replayed what we were told about the accident. The car rolled sideways, flipping approximately three times and ejecting Breanna and Megan on it's third flip through the air. I tried to imagine the complete fear that they must have felt as they were tossed around in a car that was crushing in on them. I think the fact that neither can remember the accident is an extreme blessing.

On Friday, my daughter and I will be going to NYC, a trip neither of us have ever made. This trip was planned early last Spring, before the accident, by my mother who wanted to take my sister and I, along with our daughters, on a NYC Girl's Trip. I was excited last spring as we planned. Today I am OVERJOYED. I am going to enjoy the time spent with my daughter, my niece, my sister, my mother and my grandmother so much more than I would have before the accident as I now have a much deeper appreciate for life and the relationships of those in my life.

Four months ago, as my daughter lay in the hospital bed, intubated, hooked up to monitors and iv's, this trip was furthest from my mind. If I had even thought of the trip it was with doubt that we'd even make it to New York City as planned. On June 4th, I cared little for our NYC trip, I only wanted my child to be well. But as she's quickly progressed, this trip has become much anticipated. Something to look forward to when the calendar seemed filled only with doctor appointments.
Breanna on her birthday, 8/5/2012 (two months after the accident)
During the time we stayed in the hospital I learned the value of gratitude. We had much to be thankful for despite the obstacles. God was blessing us with caring nurses, competent doctors (many the best in their fields), kindness from friends and strangers, and a life that He was restoring in Breanna. With each thanks that I lifted to heaven, a burden would also be lifted from my weary shoulders. Each time I gave thanks, He showed me His multitude of blessings, His faithfulness and His never-ending love. And each time I was in awe of His greatness.

So you see, this trip is a really big deal to me. It's a time to celebrate. It's a time to spend with my daughter and I will cherish every minute of it. It is also a time to build and strengthen my relationship with the women in my family. 

Today I am so thankful for life, for family and for a God who continues to shower down blessings during both the joyous days and the hard days....and I will thank God for ALL my days. 


Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

stripped bare

It's Friday which means it's time to dance and sing (the daycare kids and I have a song and dance to celebrate this glorious day). Friday is also the day in which Lisa-Jo hosts Five Minute Fridays and I humbly join the party of words strung together in five short minutes by a group of fantastic writers. The rules are simple. Lisa-Jo provides the word, write for five minutes flat, no backtracking/editing/over thinking, share your link at Lisa-Jo's, and share the love by reading what others have written. It's great fun and so inspiring. Won't you join us? I promise, you will be blessed! Today's word ~ BARE Lord, I want to be stripped bare.            Strip me of myself so there is more room for you. Strip me of my foolishness, my stubbornness, my selfishness.    Do nothing from  selfish ambition or  conceit, but in  humility count others more significant than yourselves  Phil. 2:3 And to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord,