Skip to main content

Day 13 ~ Chicken in a (Freezer) Bag


I've always wanted to do "once-a-month" cooking but haven't done it on a large scale. Time and organization were lacking for such a feat. I have, in the past, prepared a week's worth of freezer meals and I do, on occasion, make double, triple and even quadruple batches of meals, serving one and freezing the rest. I love having meals in the freezer for nights when I'm-not-hungry-so-nothing-sounds-good-but my-family-still-wants-to-eat. Last weekend I had the opportunity to join a few other ladies for a Freezer Meal Workshop in which we made 10 meals for the freezer. Making food for the family AND spending time with women....it was a WIN-WIN way to spend my time.

When I returned home from the workshop I added nine meals to the freezer and one in the refrigerator for the next night's meal. The Perfect Roast Chicken was the dinner I happened to randomly grab for the frig and  it was a good choice! So yummy and it provided enough left overs to stretch over for two more meals (love it when that happens as it saves me $$ and time).

Perfect Roast Chicken

1 Whole Chicken (cut up) or package of chicken
  • I used a package of chicken thighs (approximately 8 thighs) because that it was on sale.
3 T. Wildtree Garlic Grapeseed Oil
1 T. minced garlic
2 T. Wildtree Hearty Spaghetti Blend
2 T. Rancher Steak Rub

Place all the ingredients in a large freezer bag, seal and shake to combine. Put in the freezer. Yep, it's that easy! 

The night before the Perfect Roast Chicken Dinner (so you do have to think ahead a little bit), remove bag from freezer and place in the refrigerator. I'm thinking that adding the frozen chicken (in case you forget to take it out of the freezer the night before) to the crock pot in the morning would have it ready for dinner time....but I'm not sure. 

To save time, I added red potatoes and carrots to the bag of chicken, shook the bag to distribute herbs and oil and then put chicken and veggies into my casserole dish. 

Bake in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes.

LEFTOVER MEALS:
Veggies were consumed however I had three thighs leftover. I cleaned the meat off the bones to use for dinner the following night. Another easy meal which created leftovers that would be eaten the next day for lunch.

I made a white sauce, added the leftover meat and tossed with rotini noodles. Served with steamed broccoli. 

White Sauce:

  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • Milk (approximately 1 cup....I don't know, I always eye-ball this)
  • 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (my preference would have been Parmesan or parmigiano-reggiano however I was out of my favorite cheeses so I substituted cheddar).

Melt butter, add flour and stir to make a thick paste. Often times I use chicken broth and milk, unfortunately I was out of broth so I used milk. Stir in milk, heat, add cheese, stir until "just right". Keep an eye on this as it is very easy to forget about your sauce and it can scorch easily. Trust me, I know. 

Once the sauce is the desired thickness I add the chicken. Toss in cooked noodles, stir well and serve.  


Time spent preparing ten freezer meals was less than two hours - 30 minutes at the grocery store, 20 minutes dicing meats and vegetables, 30 minutes of assembly (this part could have possibly been done in much less time but, you know, I was with a group of women and chatting tends to slow me down). I haven't made all the meals yet but most of the prep is done so actual time spent in the kitchen should be minimal. Now if I spent one hour, every other week, making up ten freezer meals (which can often be stretched into 15 meals) my freezer would be well stocked! Hmmm.....another goal to work towards. 




Comments

  1. Have you tried this with frozen chicken in the crock? I thought the same thing when I made this --- but wonder if the garlic flavor would get overpowering in the crock. Also, I make a whole chicken (not cut) in the crock sometimes & I thought about simply slathering it up with this the next time. Yes, it is THAT yummy ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

stripped bare

It's Friday which means it's time to dance and sing (the daycare kids and I have a song and dance to celebrate this glorious day). Friday is also the day in which Lisa-Jo hosts Five Minute Fridays and I humbly join the party of words strung together in five short minutes by a group of fantastic writers. The rules are simple. Lisa-Jo provides the word, write for five minutes flat, no backtracking/editing/over thinking, share your link at Lisa-Jo's, and share the love by reading what others have written. It's great fun and so inspiring. Won't you join us? I promise, you will be blessed! Today's word ~ BARE Lord, I want to be stripped bare.            Strip me of myself so there is more room for you. Strip me of my foolishness, my stubbornness, my selfishness.    Do nothing from  selfish ambition or  conceit, but in  humility count others more significant than yourselves  Phil. 2:3 And to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord,