Skip to main content

Homemade Granola

My favorite breakfast ~ homemade Viili yogurt with homemade granola...yum.
Best granola that I've ever made......this was inspired by Hungry Hungry Hippy. I guess the only difference is the absence of buckwheat in my granola. I also substituted figs as I was out of raisins. On a whim I had picked up some figs the last time I was at Trader Joes. Other than Fig Newtons, which I love, I had never eaten a fig. I was searching for some dried fruit that wasn't saturated with sugar. The only thing in my figs was figs. Just as it should be. I was a little apprehensive as it resembled a prune (which I've also grown to like but it took awhile). I was surprised to find that I LOVE figs.


1 c. Oats
2 T. Chia Seeds
1/3 c. Red Quinoa
1/4 c. Shredded Coconut
1.4 c. Craisins
1/4 c. Figs
3/4 c. Almonds
1/4 c. Pecans
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/4 c. pumpkin seeds
2 t. Cinnamon
1/2 c. Coconut Oil (melted)
1/2 c. Maple Syrup
 The kiddo helped me stir up the ingredients. Once the dry ingredients were well mixed with the wet ingredients we spread the mixture onto a pan and baked at 225 for one hour.
Almost two quarts of granola.....I may have been able to fill that second jar if I hadn't been so busy snacking on the cooling granola!
As soon as the granola is cooled, get it in a jar/container. If it is left on the counter all day your granola will magically disappear. It's that good. Yesterday I caught myself sneaking into the kitchen, opening my jar of granola and tipping the jar into my mouth. Don't tell the kids that I was eating from the container.






Shared on Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday

Comments

  1. Do you soak or cook the quinoa first? Without doing so, is it too crunchy? Thanks for the help! The recipe sounds great...I love quinoa for breakfast!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, no I don't soak or cook the quinoa (other than the baking of the granola part). It's crunchy but good crunchy...like nuts but not so crunchy that it seems you may chip a tooth! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home.

Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening can…

Homemade Facial Cleansing Pads

My son become a teenager last fall and has since had to battle with teenage acne. At first he seemed to wear it with pride. His acne was a sign for all to see that he had made a passage from boyhood to manhood. This "rite of passage" has grown old and has been replaced with another rite of passage. Vanity. He's willing to try all the acne products at Walmart despite the way his mother freaks out as she reads the labels. Not to mention the cost. Thus began my search for a natural, homemade acne treatment for my dear man-child.

Common sense told me to start with tea tree oil and witch hazel. Tea tree oil is antibacterial and witch hazel is a natural astringent. Both helpful in treating acne.



Ingredients:
Water
Witch Hazel
Tea Tree Oil
Cotton Rounds

Mix:
1 cup water
1/2 cup witch hazel
10 drops of tea tree oil

Place cotton rounds in a container (I happened to have a small glass jar that the rounds fit perfectly in!) and top with mixture.





Day 27 ~ Italian Meatloaf in a (Freezer) Bag

Making meals ahead of time saves time, energy and stress as I discussed onDay 12. This is another meal that I prepared a few weeks ago when I made ten meals for the freezer. This recipe won my families approval so I can now share it with you! :) In a freezer bag combine: 2 lbs of ground beef (or turkey if you wish), 1/4 cup oatmeal, 2 T. Wildtree* Hearty Spaghetti Blend, 2 T. Wildtree*Rancher Steak Rub, 2 eggs. Now here's the fun part. Squish it all up to distribute the herbs into the meat. Label the bag and store in the freezer. Easy. Gathering supplies (if already on hand) and assembling this meal takes less then 15 minutes. The hard part is remembering ahead of time to take the meatloaf out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. This is where sticky notes on the refrigerator come in handy.  When ready to bake, form into a loaf and bake for 50-55 minutes. Add marinara sauce during last 10-15 minutes of baking. 
While baking the meatloaf prepare the "topping&qu…