Skip to main content

Water

I am often humbled when my eyes are opened to the things in my life in which I take for granted. Sometimes it's easy to fall into the habit of grumbling at the work. I'm sure there's a few tired mama's out there that can relate. Dishes, laundry, cooking. The jobs are endless. Breadwinner, nurse, secretary, financial planner, teacher, kitchen manager, gardener......really this list could go on. How hard would each of these jobs be without having access to clean water?

With easy access to clean water, water not only to hydrate our bodies but also to use in cooking and cleaning our bodies, washing our dishes, washing our laundry, it is hard to even comprehend how life would be without it. Noel puts it into perspective when she writes, "Did you flush your toilet today? Just once? You have already used more water than the average African has for an entire day --- for drinking, cooking, cleaning, bathing, washing....everything. Just one flush." (AWAKE, pg.94). One flush my friends. That would give me something to complain about.


If I didn't have access to clean water I'd be cooking meals and washing dishes with water that carries bacteria that could kill my family. Cleaning hands or the many scraped knees that children seem to collect on a daily basis with dirty water? Not a good idea. Can you imagine walking miles just obtain water for your family? Can you imagine walking miles to find only dirty, contaminated water? Having to choose between dirty water or no water? The thought is frightening.

Diarrhoea is caused mainly by the ingestion of pathogens, especially in unsafe drinking-water, in contaminated food or from unclean hands. Inadequate sanitation and insufficient hygiene promote the transmission of these pathogens. Eighty-eight per cent of cases of diarrhoea worldwide are attributable to unsafe water, inadequate sanitation or insufficient hygiene. These cases result in 1.5 million deaths each year, most being the deaths of children. (World Health Organization)
1.5 MILLION deaths each year from diarrhea!  
"A single sip of water is all it takes to be infected. A single drop of water can contain over 1 billion bacterial organisms." (Yeatts, "Awake"). Among the many water-related diseases are diarrhea, malaria, trachoma, worms and parasites, typhoid fever (600,000 deaths per year), and cholera.

Chapter Seven "Crystal Clear" from World Help on Vimeo.

This morning alone I have taken a shower, brushed my teeth, washed a load of laundry, ran the dishwasher, used water to scrub the carpet under the refrigerator, washed my kitchen cabinets and counters, washed my appliances, ran two pots of water through my coffee maker to rinse out the cycle of vinegar I used to clean it, and now I'm about to add another 12 cups of water so that I enjoy a cup of coffee. Oh, and I've flushed the toilet twice. It's not even noon. I might be a bit mathematically challenged but I think I've used a month's supply of water (or maybe even more) within 6 hours. 

So what can I do about the lack of access to clean water in place that seems so distant? 
  • The first thing I can do is to show gratitude for the fact that access to clean water makes almost every job I do so much easier. 
  • Become educated and then educate others.
  • Find an organization such as World Help which is helping bring water to all corners of the world.
  • Pray for World Help and other "water projects"
  • GIVE to World Help's Causelife water project. For a mere $15 you could provide water for one person.
Noel Yeatts writes:

"The worldwide water crisis can be solved with 20-30 billion dollars a year. Yet Americans spend $16 billion each year on bottled water alone."
Noel then puts the cost into a new perspective, one that seems to make solving the water crisis obtainable. 
"Americans also spend an average of $700 each at Christmas" this equates to $210 billion! "If just half the population set aside $200 of their Christmas spending and put it toward the water crisis, the problem could be solved!" (AWAKE, p.94)

The other day, after reading this, I found myself in a discussion with my mother-in-law about the new football stadium that the Minnesota Vikings want to build. A stadium which will cost $975 million.  For a stadium. To entertain not to sustain a society. Oh, but the Minnesota Vikings will cover some of the cost.
"The Minnesota Vikings will pick up the $477 million share of the new stadium that isn’t being covered by taxpayers. "
Well great then. That leaves $498 million that the taxpayers WILL cover. A majority of those taxpayers who won't ever see the inside of that stadium either because of lack of interest or because they can not afford to pay the exorbitant ticket prices yet they still "get to" contribute. I see something very wrong with this and honestly it makes me sick to my stomach. Children are dying around the world from dehydration yet Americans, in their excess, are more concerned with funding yet another venue of entertainment which contributes to a drug-like numbness which allows us to close our eyes to the hurts around us. 

What can you do for the water crisis? 
REFUSE TO BE NUMB! REFUSE TO KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED! 

Let's wake up friends. Let's do something. Anything. For even a small change creates ripples and one life saved is still ONE LIFE SAVED!

Resources:
Water.org

And because it's 31 days of praise, let's not forget to praise God for water, for those who are providing water for areas where it is inaccessible, and for those who choose to contribute in any way that they can to create ripples of change. God, thank you for opening my eyes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha