Skip to main content

Day 17 ~ My Boy

My boy had knee surgery yesterday. At the ripe old age of fourteen. The days leading up to his surgery The Boy, as I fondly call him, was worried only about what this meant for his future. My strong, courageous boy who just a few weeks ago thought himself invincible was humbly recognizing that he was not.

He had been experiencing some pain in his knee since track season this spring which returned in the fall when football practice began. A visit to the doctor taught us that he had a "loose knee" which would slide too far to the outside of his leg and could be remedied with exercises to strengthen his inner quad muscle. Despite this knowledge and his mama's constant pleadings, he chose not to do his exercises.

On October 1, during a football game, The Boy made a pivot/sharp turn and immediately dropped to the ground in pain. After several days of not being able to straighten his leg and with no decrease in the swelling we visited an Orthopedic doctor. An MRI indicated that when his knee shifted the meniscus folded in half and was now pinched between the bones. His ACL was completely "shredded". Surgery was necessary to mend the meniscus however the reconstruction of the ACL would have to wait until he is nearly done growing (6-18 months).

I was happy to find out a cause and a solution to his pain. I was also happy to know that the exercises that he DIDN'T do may have helped avoid his predicament but it may not have helped either. The Boy initially wasn't worried about the surgery but was worried about his future. Although he loves football, he was very willing to give it up to protect his knees. He was worried about having problems with his knees for the rest of his life. I find this remarkable for a boy who once thought himself invincible.

The night before his surgery he began to worry about the actual surgery. Would it hurt? Was there anything that could go wrong? I told him of all the people who were praying for a successful surgery and quick healing. This only made him more nervous. I calmed his fears with the usual, "You are in God's hands." and "just think how wonderful it will be to walk again without crutches....it will be worth a little bit of pain and discomfort that you may have for just a short time". He buried his worries and put on a brave face. I admire his strength.
Before surgery

Best pain medication acording to The Boy? His guitar.
On our way home from the surgery, still under the influence of pain medication and anesthesia, he talked. This isn't unusual for my boy of many words but his words were deep, filled with self-examination. And because he had just had surgery, I really listened as my boy rambled on. He spoke of dreams - his dreams for himself and others expectations of his future. He spoke of his love and passion for music and how to use it to glorify God. And then he spoke of his anxiety regarding his surgery. He spoke passionately about how his worry for the surgery paled in comparison to the greater worries in this world and how his worry was so selfish. In that moment I was inspired and proud of my boy who feels deeply, is compassionate to the hurts of others, and has the ability to look beyond himself.

Thank you, God, for this boy...my boy who often drives me crazy. His energy and his noise-making (if it's not his mouth it's another part of his body tapping out a rhythm) often leaves me exhausted but oh how I am thankful to have such a boy. Thank you, God, for entrusting him to me. Help me to encourage him to live for you in every moment. May he do great things for you and your kingdom.


 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 
Philippians 4:6-7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

stripped bare

It's Friday which means it's time to dance and sing (the daycare kids and I have a song and dance to celebrate this glorious day). Friday is also the day in which Lisa-Jo hosts Five Minute Fridays and I humbly join the party of words strung together in five short minutes by a group of fantastic writers. The rules are simple. Lisa-Jo provides the word, write for five minutes flat, no backtracking/editing/over thinking, share your link at Lisa-Jo's, and share the love by reading what others have written. It's great fun and so inspiring. Won't you join us? I promise, you will be blessed! Today's word ~ BARE Lord, I want to be stripped bare.            Strip me of myself so there is more room for you. Strip me of my foolishness, my stubbornness, my selfishness.    Do nothing from  selfish ambition or  conceit, but in  humility count others more significant than yourselves  Phil. 2:3 And to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord,