"I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, I'm Popeye the Sailor Man. I'm strong to the finich cuz I eats my spinach! I'm Popeye the Sailor Man!"
I've been able to get a few kiddos to try spinach just by singing Popeye's song. I haven't met a boy yet who wouldn't like to have bulging muscles like Popeye. I love spinach so I am glad that it is full of nutrients. Here is what can be found in spinach:
- Loaded with flavonoids ~ antioxidants
- Vitamins C and A for a healthy heart
- Rich in potassium (lowers blood pressure)for great cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin K, Vitamin A and magnesium which is good for bone health.
- Beta-carotene and Vitamin C for gastrointestinal health
- Anti-inflammatory properties help with osteoporosis, arthritis, asthma, and migraines
- Helps brain heath!
- Lutein which helps fight eye disease such as cataracts and macular degeneration
- Full of iron which is good for energy
So eat up your spinach my friends!
Omelet made from farm fresh eggs (Thank you, Henny Penny and girls), organic baby spinach, tomatoes and cheese. So yummy. My lunch today was almost the same except I substituted toasted bread for the eggs. The Ultimate grilled cheese.
This morning's smoothie was filled with spinach too.
2 cups milk
2 cups fresh organic baby spinach (could use frozen)
1 - 2 T. GOOD fat (avocado, coconut) I used coconut oil (**See the health benefit below!**)
1 cup frozen (unsweetened) fruit
1/4 cup probiotic (I used yogurt but kefir works too!)
"Healthy" Spices ~ cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cayenne pepper (I put cinnamon and ginger in my smoothie this morning and loved the extra flavor!)***See the health benefits below***
Sweeten if needed (I use a little maple syrup)
**Weston Price calls coconut oil a medicine food as it is anti-fungal, antiviral, antibacterial (I'll be talking about oil pulling in days to come). Coconut oil is actually good for the heart, improves digestion, and has many other health benefits. Plus when I get a little on my fingers I can smear it on my wrinkles. Coconut oil benefits both the inside and the outside the body.
- Cinnamon helps lower cholesterol, prevents colon cancer, and is an anti-inflammatory.
- Ginger is not only great for upset stomachs but also boosts the immune system. Migraines, morning sickness, ovarian cancer, menstrual cramps, heartburn.....the list really does go on. It's also a "warming" herb which helps bring on healthy sweats.
- Turmeric naturally detoxifies, aids in burning fat (WAHOO! Bring on the turmeric!), prevents melanoma, relieves arthritis, prevents cancer, and again this list goes on. The easiest meals to use turmeric in are soups and stews.
- Cayenne Pepper is another super spice. It's claims include killing prostrate cancer cells, promotes good heart health, anti-allergen, detoxifying, boosts the metabolism, and again the list goes on!