Skip to main content

One Hundred Jars of Baby Food on the Wall......

.....One hundred jars of baby food. Take one down, pass it around. Ninety-nine jars of baby food ....

Baby Food Hell
Vintage Ad from Cruzine

What does one do when a friend drops off ONE HUNDRED jars of baby food? It's time to get creative. As you may have gathered by past postings, I love free stuff. I also love the challenge of making free stuff useful. I'm already dreaming of the things I'll use the little glass jars for but first I must find some uses for the food. I do have Princess (daycare baby girl) who will eat up some but she's nearing the stage of eating "normal" foods. I sent a bunch home with Princess and will keep a stock just for her but she'll never eat her way through this pile. 


I started the morning with a baby food smoothie. Yes, I did and yes, it was yummy, despite the weird combo that I choose. One small jar of spinach/carrot combo, one small jar of banana (c'mon, who doesn't like banana baby food?), and one small jar of blueberry applesauce. I topped off my baby food with one raw egg, a little blob of homemade yogurt, a splash of milk and some chia seeds. Unlike yesterday's spinach-beet smoothie (which was more chunky than smooth), my baby food smoothie was just that. Smooth. Yummy and full of fruits and veggies.


While drinking my smoothie, the kids and I made a quick bread (using my baking mix) with one jar of banana baby food and one jar of applesauce baby food. Although the bread was good, next time I'll add another jar or two of banana to give the bread a more banana-y flavor. 


I also found that a handful of jars were just past expiration. These will get fed to the chickens. I'm sure with the new snow on the ground they will be happy to get some "produce"...even if it does come from a jar.


There are about 10 jars of baby food "meats". Princess makes a funny face and sometimes gags when I try to feed her these. I feel like I'm torturing her by feeding her the pale pink puree so pooch lucked out. Cooper, the dog, is very happy that no one wants the baby food meat. He is nuts over beef with beef broth. It's his favorite.


Applesauce Baby Food? Well it's just like regular, big-kid applesauce....only in a much smaller container. We had three jars with lunch. Applesauce can be eaten "as is". Blueberry banana will sweeten my morning smoothies, pears and bananas can be added to quick breads. The fruits will be easy to use up. 


Vegetables on the other hand...hmmm....peas? green beans? Ew. I don't know. Maybe I can hide a jar in the meatloaf I am making tonight or I could add some of the veggies to a batch of homemade dog food.  Hiding vegetables in entrees will need an extra dose of clever creativeness. Time to pull out my "Sneaky Chef" cookbook. I'll update if I come up with anything brilliant. 


Carrots will be used to make carrot cake, carrot quick bread, and carrot muffins....or accompany an apple in my blender for Apple Carrot Juice. 


I've already used (or given away) approximately half my stock. That leaves approximately..........


Fifty jars of baby food on the wall, fifty jars of baby food....







Follow Me on Pinterest button

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha