Skip to main content

Laundry Soap and Liquid Hand Soap

So easy and saves me oodles. Last week I did the math and this soap costs less than two cents a load. I use the kitty litter bucket when I double the recipe.
2 gal. water
1/3 bar of Fels Naptha -- finely grated
1/2 c. borax
1/2 c. Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)

Bring 1 gallon of water to boil, toss in grated soap. Stir and continue boil until fels naptha is completely melted.

Take off heat and add borax and washing soda. Stir. Add 1 gallon of water. Stir. Done. If I'm storing my laundry soap in plastic milk jugs, I wait until the soap as cooled. The soap will "gel up" over night. Stir before each use. 1/4-1/2 c. per load.
This is a low suds soap so it is HE friendly!

I started making my own laundry soap not only to save money but also because I could. :)  I started to look at products that I used/consumed and asked myself, "Can I make that?" It's amazing the stuff I've learned over the past couple of years just because I asked this simple question. I also make my own liquid hand soap....I know, you can buy a big container to refill your soap dispenser for cheap at Sam's Club. I haven't done the math, but I'm guessing that my homemade soap is still cheaper. Besides, there is a bit of satisfaction in not relying on some big chain store. 

I've had to play around a bit with liquid hand soap. During my first attempts I reused a foam dispenser...Dial or something like that. This worked well until the dispenser wore out, resulting in foam puffs flying everywhere. I did buy a pump dispenser on Amazon which worked well....for awhile. The best recipe for pumps is simply Dr. Bronners Castille Soap (liquid) mixed with equal parts water.

Athome America Soap Dispenser
A friend of mine, Keri, sells Athome America and I was thrilled when I found this dispenser. It's cute and it works well.
However this dispenser doesn't work well with my castille/water combo recipe. The soap is just too liquidity....it's like trying to drink water out of a cupped hand and much of the soap was getting wasted as it spilled out onto the counter or sink. So, after months of hand cupping, I decided to play around a bit. I still haven't perfected the recipe but I'm on the right track. Progress, not perfection, is good enough for me.



I had some soap crumbles that were just waiting to be used. These crumbles were acquired when a friend and I made soap over Christmas break. As we cut the soap into bars, some of the soap crumbled. We had made two pans of soap that day so my crumbles have a wonderful mixed scent of sandalwood and lavender. As I was shaving the pieces so that they would melt better, I decided to give my coffee grinder a whirl. It worked perfectly! My coffee may now taste like soap though.

While I was grating the soap, I brought 1 cup of water to boil. Once the water was boiling, I added 1/3 cup of my finely grated soap. (These amounts need to be adjusted a little. My hand soap turned out a little too thick so I think next time I will use 2 cups water to 1/3 cup soap.) Once the soap melts (doesn't take long at all!), remove pan from the heat and blend. CAUTION: The hot soap will splatter. Although this is great for clean up, it's not so great on bare arms...or my bare face. Next time I will use a deeper pot. The blending will cause some foam but that's OK. I blended a bit, let the mixture rest a few minutes and blended some more. I repeated this about 5 times. I waited for the mixture to cool before pouring into my soap dispenser. The mixture will thicken but it takes a few hours to do so. If it becomes too thick, add water and blend. Mine looked good but after 24 hours it thickened a little too much. I just added a little water to my dispenser and shook vigorously. Love it! I love that my hands don't feel completely dried out after I wash them. (Has anyone ever felt so dry after washing your hands -- usually at public places - that you feel a strange desire to lick your hands? Maybe not. Anyway, I hate that!) And I love the sandalwood/lavender scent. Happy soap~making!

 *Readers, if you have a favorite soap recipe, I would love for you to share!!*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha