Skip to main content

My Retro Stove

As I deep cleaned my kitchen this morning I was a bit taken back by where my thoughts wandered to. You see, typically while I'm deep cleaning I make a mental list of all failures of my home. The section of my yellow kitchen ceiling that is not yellow but white as it was patched up 7 years ago when the bathroom above the kitchen "sprung a leak". The tile that has a long crack. The veneer on the cupboard door which keeps falling off in chunks. And then there's this ancient stove. 

My harvest gold stove is almost as old as I am. My husband keeps reviving it and I'm not sure if that is a good thing. Two years ago the heating element went out on the oven and I learned to make bread on an outdoor fire pit (I have to admit that that was a fun learning experiment!). Last year the knobs started crumbling one by one. I was finally down to two knobs which I glued together when we were able to locate replacement knobs online. Shortly after we got the knobs replaced for each burner two of the burners stopped working. By November I had ONE burner working. Fortunately I like being challenged and finding innovative ways to problem solve.....until the day my husband requested "Breakfast for Dinner". I kind of lost it as I said, in complete exasperation, "I can't cook hash browns AND bacon AND eggs AND pancakes (he a Tremendous Twelve kind of guy) on ONE BURNER!" After I gave myself a time out for flipping out I found a way to meet his request. Hubby ordered the parts and fixed the stove top last month except the replacement "parts" for two of the burners cooks only on high heat. But, hey, I've got four burners so I'm not going to complain!

So back to this morning. I'm cleaning, organizing and wiping down cupboards, wiping down the oven, etc. when I realize that each time I find something that needs repair (or replacement) I'm not making a mental note with grumbling (yep, that mental list often causes a bad attitude to develop). Instead I'm giving praise. As I washed the cupboard that is in great need of a face lift, I gave thanks that the cupboard, although not pretty, is still functioning. As I washed the stove, I remembered a blog post I had read last fall and was reminded that my old, worn out stove would be a luxury to some and I am thankful. As I look at the burner which will forever bear the orange enamel mark of my tea pot, I am thankful for my boy, the boy who absentmindedly attempted to heat some water for tea but forgot to add water to the teapot. 

As soon as thoughts of, "I wish I could afford a new cupboard/stove/kitchen remodel/new house" crossed my mind they were quickly replaced with, "No, not this year. This is the year for missions" and my heart sung. I happily can live with what I have. As I've learned recently, I have enough. Maybe next year I'll be able to save up for those stainless steel appliances I've been eyeing but for now my appliances are good enough. Besides, aren't retro appliances in style these days? 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha