Skip to main content

What's in Your Shower? Shampoo or No Poo

For the past two years...maybe three, I've been in search for the perfect homemade shampoo and conditioner/rinse. This search began with the desire to save money but as I researched, I found a whole "No Poo" Revolution going on out there. I already knew that many shampoos were filled with a few a lot of undesirable ingredients but as I learned more, I became more aware and more convinced that "no poo" was the way to go. I've found things that work ok and even not so great. I'm still searching for a hair care regimen that works best for me. I'm not giving up.

The key is to find the shampoo and rinse that work together...for you. The most popular hair care in the "no poo" world is by cleansing with a baking soda paste (simply add water to baking soda), rinse and follow with a cleansing rinse of diluted cider vinegar. Many have huge success with this combination. For me it works in cycles.  Baking soda tends to make my hair amazingly soft but sometimes (I think when I use too much) my scalp becomes a little flaky or my hair becomes excessively oily (which may be due to too much ACV). I dunno. I think my biggest problem is not measuring. My finger scoops aren't consistently the same size. Cider vinegar seems to work well but if I get the combo wrong my hair is crazy greasy. I'm not a high maintenance girl but I don't like being greasy.

Conditioning Rinse

My recent conditioning recipe, pictured at the left, is a combination recipe. I made this to deal with winter static. The rinse works good for my daughter, who has thick, curly hair, however it is too oily for my fine hair. Can't remember all the ingredients but I am going to assume by the color/consistency that it has an oil or two, such as coconut, sweet almond or olive oil.  I do remember adding the vinegar (good thing that was in the picture) as well as a little lavender essential oil. I reused a grapeseed oil bottle wrapped in duct tape and topped with a "bottle pourer". The duct tape will prevent the glass bottle from breaking when dropped on my porcelain tub (amazingly this hasn't happened....yet). The rinse is runny so the bottle pourer helps slow down the flow of the rinse. Not much is needed - maybe a tablespoon. Diluted lemon juice can also be used as a hair rinse.

Honey Bear Shampoo Container
Homemade shampoo is also runny and my little, re purposed honey bear is perfect for housing my shampoo. Again, not much is needed. A tablespoon goes a long way. The castile soap makes a good lather. The dispenser is perfect for depositing just a tad of shampoo to the top of my head and prevents waste. It's also plastic which means I won't break it! I've had a problem with labeling my shower products. Permanent marker on both plastic and glass will smear off when it gets wet in the shower. Solution? Write on your container and cover writing with packing tape. Make sure container is dry or the packing tape won't stick.

When I use baking soda in place of shampoo, I keep a wide mouth jar filled with baking soda. During my shower I scoop a little into my hand and carefully add a little water to make a paste. This will not lather but as I've learned, clean can occur without lather. Another no poo technique is to shower less often (when you switch to a no-poo regimen, your hair doesn't need to be washed daily) but showering is a luxury that I can't live with out. A shower wakes me in the morning and motivates me for my day. On days when I skip my shower the only thing on my mind is a nap. I justify my frivolousness by taking lightening quick showers. 2 minutes may be an exaggeration, maybe 5 minutes. I do know that I am the quickest shower-er in the family. I may have to time myself tomorrow to find out just how quick I am. ;)


My most successful homemade shampoo was a shampoo bar. I LOVED this soap but making bars of soap is a little lot more time consuming. I found that the constant distractions in my day result in inconsistent or botched batches of soap. A botched batch of soap means a waste of precious ingredients and a waste of precious time. This kind of soap making has to be reserved to the wee early morning hours or weekends. Here are a couple of simple shampoo recipes that I have tried and liked. I think the key is to find what works for your hair. The second recipe uses chamomile tea but this can be altered by using your favorite herb.


A few herb options:
Rosemary: good for the scalp and helps strengthen the hair 
Nettles: stimulates hair growth
Eucalyptus: fights dandruff
Chamomile: light colored hair


Shampoo Recipe:

1/4 c. water
1/4 c. Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (I have substituted this by using shavings from botched soaps.)
2 T. Rosemary
2 T. sweet almond oil
1/2 T lemon juice
1/4 T. lavender essential oil
Bring water and rosemary to boil - steep - cool - add remaining ingredients. I like this recipe but I can only use it for a week or two before it makes my hair to greasy. The following recipe has similar results. I think maybe I need to cut back on the oil.


Shampoo #2:

Boil 2 cups of water, steep 6 tea bags of choice (I used chamomile) for 20-30 minutes, add 2 T. castile soap and 1 t. vegetable oil. That's it. Pretty easy.
Google "no poo" and you will find tons of resources from recipes, the experiences of others, as well as convincing arguments that will cause you to want to switch to a more gentle substitute. My theory is that I should care not only for what I put in my body but also for what I put on my body.


5/22/2012 UPDATE ~ Since this post last year, I found that Dr. Bronner's Castille Soap is the best for me. I mix 1 part soap to 3 parts water. It is very runny but you need very little. I no longer need a conditioning rinse. My hair is clean and soft. Easy, cheap and it works!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha