Skip to main content

The Magical Lemon

Who knew that lemons are so versatile? Not only do they make a great thirst quenching beverage (Did you know that drinking lemonade may date back to medieval Egypt?) but lemons can be used both externally and internally. Lemons have more uses than just flavoring fish or making my favorite lemon poppy seed muffins. This humble, sour fruit can make products for your medicine cabinet, for your beauty basket or for your cleaning bin. Lemons are high in Vitamin C, which is important for a strong immune system. Lemons are also antibacterial, antiviral, contain antioxidants and anti-cancer properties......and are a bit magical. ;)

MEDICINAL:
  • Water Kefir "Lemonade" - Add a couple lemon slices to your brew. Yummy probiotic.
  • Tea for colds - hot water, lemon and honey. So soothing on a scratchy throat.
  • Cough Syrup - 1 cup honey, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 2 garlic cloves, 1 t. turmeric, chunk of ginger root.
  • Athlete's Foot - mix the juice of half a lemon with 2 cups of water. Rinse feet. (This also helps smelly feet!)
AROUND THE HOUSE:
  • Furniture Polish - Mix lemon juice with olive oil.
  • Disinfectant - Every time I cut up a lemon I use the end piece to clean my cutting board. After rubbing on my cutting boards, I throw the lemon into my garbage disposal. Cleans the disposal and leaves it smelling fresh and "citrus-y".
  • Shower Spray - recipe in earlier post. Helps fight mildew.
  • Microwave - squeeze a little lemon juice into a cup of water (I use my Pyrex measuring cup for this job), place in microwave and nuke for a few minutes. Remove (careful the container will be hot!) and wipe out microwave. The helps loosen any stuck on gunk, the lemon juice eliminates any odors.
  • Clean coffee pot. I learned this trick from my days as a waitress at Perkins. In the coffee pot add about half a tablespoon of salt, squeeze in half a lemon, add a few ice cubes and shake. Dump out (preferably in the garbage disposal to "kill two birds with one stone") and rinse.
  • Stain remover - my white kitchen counter tops get stained easily. I sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the stain, squeeze a little juice on top and let sit for five minutes (or until I remember that I was cleaning the counter) and then I rub the lemon over this mixture and wipe clean.
HAIR, FACE AND BODY:
  • Hair Spray (haven't personally tried this recipe as I don't use hair spray, but I made it for hubby and it worked for him) -  Chop 2 lemons, simmer in 2 cups of water on low heat until lemons are soft. Cool, strain out lemons, and put in a spray bottle.
  • Use as an astringent on pimples. Simply apply lemon juice with a cotton ball or make a toner by mixing 1/2 lemon juice, 1 cup water and 2/3 c. witch hazel.
  • Facial Mask -  One ripe banana and blend it with 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Leave on for 15 minutes
  • Lighten hair - Dilute 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice with 1/4 cup of water. Put the mixture in your hair and let it sit for 30 minutes
  • Hair Rinse - mix 1-2 T. of lemon juice with 1 cup water. (I use this hair rinse once a week or so)
  • Dandruff Control - again, use as a rinse by diluting with water OR mix the juice of one lemon with 1/2 cup olive oil. Apply to hair and let soak a bit, shampoo and rinse.
  • Whiten Teeth - I learned this trick in my bartending days. A woman who liked red wine would bite into a lemon slice to prevent the wine from staining her teeth. Sucking on lemons is also a good breath freshener.
  • Spray on too much perfume? Rub area with lemon.
  • Lines from self-tanning lotions? Again, rub area with a lemon. Lemon is a good skin "lightener".
  • Stained fingernails - soak in lemon juice. Good for "garden hands".
It is believed that lemons originated in India and later "migrated" through the Mediterranean. Christopher Columbus introduced lemons to the Americas when, in 1493, he brought lemon seeds to Hispaniola. Now if I could just figure out how to grow a couple lemon trees in my Minnesota garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha