Skip to main content

Remembering to Have a Heart of Gratitude

I was humbled this week with the realization that during the hard times, the days spent in the hospital, I was consistently searching and seeing blessings despite our circumstances. Somehow in the midst of real life I had forgotten to have a heart of gratitude. 

On Thursday, instead of singing praises for the previous days successful CT scan (Breanna's no longer has bleeding around her brain! HALLELUJAH!), I was allowing the stresses of every day life swallow up my gratitude. A leaking toilet. A van, which had been in for repairs twice since we've returned home from the hospital, was squealing while smoke rolled out from under the hood. My computer wasn't working (it has since decided to work again). An anniversary forgotten. I went to bed early and on Friday morning I woke realizing that in the grand scheme of life these little trials mean very little and are merely annoyances. 

I am instructed to give thanks in EVERYTHING (1 Thessalonians 5:18)! Today I am thankful that my daughter is walking and talking. Breanna's body is healing and someday this WILL be just a faded memory. I am thankful for a house that, yes, sometimes needs repairs, but is a home filled with love. I am thankful that I am able to repair the van instead of having to worry about buying a new vehicle. I am thankful that God has provided an excellent medical facility with outstanding physicians. He's also provided family, friends and a community which continue to support us with love, kind words and prayers. I have so much to be thankful for!

Breanna continues to heal. Next week she will have another x-ray of her clavicle and an appointment with her orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Torchia. Depending on what the x-ray reveals, Dr. Torchia will determine if she can have possible breaks from the sling (at this time she wears it all the time except for showering and dressing), as well as exercises that she can do to strengthen her arm. 

The first week in August Breanna will be tested on her cognitive abilities. She was warned by one of her therapists that this test can take up to four hours. Hopefully they give snack breaks. :)  At this time it will be decided when Breanna will be able to discontinue therapy and when she will be able to return to work. I think she is anxious to return to work.....or at least anxious to get out of the house. 

At church on Sunday I met a woman and through our conversation found that she lives very near to the accident site. She reassured me that she was praying for my daughter before I even knew Breanna needed prayers. I'm so thankful for the family of Christ. Although strangers, through Him, we share a deep connection. Seeing the love of Christ in others is truly beautiful. 

I'm rejoicing in all our blessings, as well as the trials that keep me on my knees. I again want to thank each of you for your continued love and prayers. 




You can read more about our journey regarding my daughter's accident and recovery at her Caring Bridge site




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

stripped bare

It's Friday which means it's time to dance and sing (the daycare kids and I have a song and dance to celebrate this glorious day). Friday is also the day in which Lisa-Jo hosts Five Minute Fridays and I humbly join the party of words strung together in five short minutes by a group of fantastic writers. The rules are simple. Lisa-Jo provides the word, write for five minutes flat, no backtracking/editing/over thinking, share your link at Lisa-Jo's, and share the love by reading what others have written. It's great fun and so inspiring. Won't you join us? I promise, you will be blessed! Today's word ~ BARE Lord, I want to be stripped bare.            Strip me of myself so there is more room for you. Strip me of my foolishness, my stubbornness, my selfishness.    Do nothing from  selfish ambition or  conceit, but in  humility count others more significant than yourselves  Phil. 2:3 And to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord,