Skip to main content

Morning Tidbits

My husband often asks me, "Whatcha thinking about?" Hmm...I always have to think about it. Lately I've changed my usual answer of "Oh, nothing." to "Well....first I was thinking about the kitchen that I need to clean but then I started thinking about the pickles I made but then I starting wondering what is ready to pick in the garden which made me think about the weeds I need to pull which made me think that I need to get The Boy to work which led me to wondering if The Boy is going to provide me with grandchildren someday. I'm really looking forward to being a grandparent. That's what I was JUST (meaning in the time frame of 2-3 minutes) thinking about. And what were you thinking about?" My mind wanders often. I'd like to think this is normal (Please don't message me if this is not normal. I'd rather stay misinformed.). Here are just a few places that my mind wandered to this morning.
  • Early morning wanderings can lead to inspirational discoveries. I started by visiting Smockity Frocks to read the book review on Large Family Logistics by Kim Brennema. I know, I don't have a large family however I do if I include my daycare family. A little different dynamics but I'm still caring for multiple kids over 50 hours a week so I figure any book that can organize a big family can probably help me. After reading the review I had to check out Brennema's blog which led me to another good site. And then another. And then another. After a bit of blog hopping I ended up at The Time~Warp Wife. And I'm glad that I did. Good stuff filled with reminders and inspirations for me as I try, but often fail, at being a godly wife and a help-meet to my husband.

  • Soap into lye? Or is it lye into soap? This stumps me every time I make soap which means I need to make soap more often. This is what I found:
     Never pour water into lye. Always pour lye into the water. (slowly) If you pour water onto lye it can cause a violent reaction. 
I have a deeper understanding of my son when, after reading directions such as this, I have a strong urge to find out what "violent reaction" means. Fortunately, unlike my son, I can walk away from this urge.
  • August is allergy season for me. When my eyes are watering and my noise is twitching uncontrollably there is nothing better than a HUMONGOUS sneeze. I don't hold back because the harder, bigger and louder the sneeze the better I feel. Unfortunately my husband doesn't understand the relief this gives me. The other night, after a big sneeze, he looked at me with disdain and said, "OWW...that hurts my ears." The child in me wanted to retort, "Cry baby!" Funny how we I go into a defensive mode when criticized, ready to throw darts back at the sender. I bite my tongue instead of waging war. Solution? I don't know....maybe I need to respect my husbands sensitive ears and either hold back when I feel the need to sneeze or run out to the garage and "sneeze my head off". Or maybe I could just move him into the garage during the month of August. (tongue in cheek)

  • TONGUE IN CHEEK. Ok, I knew what tongue in cheek meant but I wanted to look it up for fun. Occasionally my son questions the meaning of various figures of speech and sometimes I have a difficult time giving a specific definition. So now I'm prepared for this one if he happens to ask. Plus it's kinda cool to learn a little history of phrases.
Compliments of Wikipedia
Tongue-in-cheek is a phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is humorously intended and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort.[1] In the past, it may also have indicated contempt but that is no longer common.[2] By 1842 the phrase had acquired its contemporary meaning similar to "take what I am saying with a grain of salt", indicating that a statement was not meant to be taken seriously.[3][4][5] Early users of the phrase include Sir Walter Scott in his 1828 The Fair Maid of Perth.


  • Homeschool Mission Verse
I've read about the importance of having a home school mission statement but have never bothered doing one. I know I want to school my son because I am able. Why would I give someone else the responsibility of teaching my son when I am capable of doing so? As I continue down this homeschooling path I become more and more convinced that this is God's calling on my life. I believe that I have a God-given responsibility to teach my son. So as long as I am able, and as long as I have my husband's blessings, I will continue to homeschool my son. I stumbled upon this verse today and have decided that this will be our mission verse!

As ye therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. Colossians 2:6-8

After reading this verse I immediately thought, "YES! That is why I want to teach my son!" I want Isaiah to be ROOTED in Christ, BUILT UP in Christ and ESTABLISHED in faith. This is my mission for him and for me this year. I am giving this year of schooling completely to God and praying that I keep my eyes on HIM so that I am able to follow HIS will for us as well as His will for Isaiah's education. 


This is only a fraction of my wanderings this morning. I'd share more however some thoughts have been forgotten and truthfully, most are just not very interesting. Let's see.....ok, here's a few more. What should I make for dinner tonight? How can I improve my compost bin? Hmm, I wonder what I should make for dinner tonight? How should I rearrange my garden next year? What's for dinner tonight? Oh, I can't wait to move my chickens home. Yep, stuff like that. Now I better go figure out what's for dinner tonight. Or maybe I'll just order pizza and spend the afternoon menu planning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha