Skip to main content

Trim Healthy Mama - Still learning

FIVE POUNDS in 2 weeks. I'm excited about this because I haven't been following the plan 100%. I had posted last week that I'm motivated to lose the 30+ pounds that I've gained in the past five years. A plan developed by Pearl Barrett and Serene Allison and shared in their book, Trim Healthy Mama, is what I'm using to help me create a lifelong style of eating which will keep me trim and most of all, healthy!

The week days are good but I tend to slide on the weekend. Graduation parties, meals away from home and the change in my routine throws me.  But I'll get it. Little by little I'm working towards my goal of my "wedding weight" of 150.

Breakfast is usually a smoothie. I've switched milk for almond milk and I've added whey protein. If I add a sweetener I use stevia. I've cut out all sugars - even the "good" ones like honey and maple syrup. Except for the half a piece of graduation cake on Saturday. Oh, and the Mike and Ike's that my son shared with me at the movie theater on Saturday night. Overall those few "cheats" are pretty good for this sweet toothed mama.....

Lunch is usually a salad of some sort or something easy that I can throw together fast (my lunch table during the week is filled with hungry kiddos so I don't have a lot of time in the kitchen for preparing my lunch). My new favorite is to top a bed of lettuce with black beans, cottage cheese and salsa. YUM-O!

Graham crackers or cheese with crackers are a popular, easy snack among the Little Sprouts so before the kids get snack I make myself something that is plan approved. Part of the THM plan is watching carbohydrates so the kid's snack is one I try to avoid. A few new favorite snacks include Greek yogurt with apple slices and cinnamon and a "cheesecake" created by blending together cream cheese, frozen berries and almonds. I do not feel deprived or "dieting" when I eat these yummy treats.

Other than weekends, dinners are usually where I fall off the plan. I've found that I often resort to our old "regulars" for dinner as I'm tired at the end of my work day. I decided to make up a few dinners on Monday morning to help me stay on the plan! Here's a few meals that we'll be eating this week:

Chicken Satay (I divided this into two meals for our family of 4 - one for the freezer and one for dinner this week) I found this recipe a few weeks ago and it is a new family favorite!

6 chicken breasts cut up into "chunks"
marinated in:
2 T. almond butter (make sure this is sugar free)
1/2 c. Braggs Amino Acid
1/2 c. lemon juice
2 T. Curry
2 garlic cloves

Chicken can be put on skewers and grilled but since I often burn kabobs on the grill, I cook my satay in my cast iron. :)
I eat this with a big salad (spring greens topped with yellow/red peppers and tomatoes) but I also make yellow rice for my family.

My husband loves to make ribs on the grill but he often uses marinades that contain HFCS or sugar. A little planning and I had the ribs already marinating in a healthier marinade.

Marinade for Ribs
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Black Cherry Balsamic Vinegar (I stumbled across this product at the local food co-op and love  it! It's even good in homemade salad dressings.)
A few shakes of salt and pepper
Big squirt of Dijon mustard


Spaghetti (I always double my spaghetti sauce so that we have enough leftovers for lunch the next day as well as a little extra for a quick, easy weekend meal for 1)

2 lbs of ground beef - browned
Big can of tomatoes
Tomato paste
Wildtree Spaghetti seasonings

I used regular spaghetti noodles for the family and made Dreamfield's low carb spaghetti noodles for me.

I'm still learning the art of pairing foods but I'm taking steps in the right direction. That counts for something, right? Five pounds down, thirty to go!

trim-healthy-tuesdays-banner

Comments

  1. Do you dump the entire bag of Chicken into the skillet? Or do you just take the chicken out? Also do you know if this is S or E? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the entire bag gets dumped into the skillet! :) I believe the chicken satay is an S

      Delete
  2. Marinade for Ribs is this an E or S?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

What mama did ~ LOVE

Joining Lisa-Jo in another five minute write. Five Minute Friday is writing without thinking too much and not worrying about the mechanics......just allowing our hearts to speak.  This week we get to choose our own word to describe "what mama did". Mom and Me, Christmas 2011 My mama loved well. Three babies, one of which was born without breath, born well before the young age of 20. I was the first, born shortly after her seventeenth birthday. My sisters followed, arriving two months early before my mother had even turned eighteen.  Mom always told me, when I was old enough to figure out that I was in her belly at the time she married my dad, that they wanted to marry so badly but because they were so young their families wouldn't allow it. So I was a gift. A planned excuse for a wedding. When I got old enough to know that this was probably just a story to ease a young girls insecurities, it was too late. I already believed that I was wanted. I already knew tha