Skip to main content

Tutu Creations

There are bunches of tutu tutorials on the web, (I know, I looked at many of them) but I thought I'd share some tips and shortcuts that I learned along the way. If you haven't already guessed by my previous posts, I'm all about finding a faster and less complicated way to do EVERYTHING. I'm short on time and often short on patience. My first tutu was a flop even though I followed the directions. It took a lot of time, I was using more tulle than what was recommended (meaning my inexpensive Christmas gifts were becoming quite expensive), it was ugly and I had less than a month to make eleven tutus. Before giving up, I took my first tutu apart and tried again....and I found some tricks to help me accomplish my goal!

THE SUPPLY LIST:

The waist can be made from ribbon (something wide ~ I used ribbon with a 4 in width) OR elastic (this will need to be sewn ~ I did mine by hand) OR elastic headbands. I loved the ribbon because I left long tails to be tied around the waist (making it adjustable) and it was SO PRETTY! But the easiest to work with was the elastic headbands.

TULLE: can either be purchased by the yard from a bolt at the fabric store or purchased in "spools"
The spools were EASIER but much more expensive. Cutting the fabric into the right widths, and then lengths, took more time but was much CHEAPER. I did both as I tried to find what worked best.

Good scissors are a plus. A tape measure is handy but this project can be "eye balled". :)
Ribbon (both for waist and for adding bows to the elastic-made tutus) and spools of tulle (6in width/25 yds)

Cutting mat and rotary cutter made cutting my big pieces of tulle much easier.

Elastic Headband

Elastic

Cutting my yard of tulle...found that 2-3 in strips were too narrow. 5-6 in works better.

Length of tulle approximately 24 in. this can be shorter or longer depending on your preference for the length of tutu. I found that holding one end in my hand and taking the other end to my shoulder was the perfect length.


TIP: Cut all of the tulle FIRST. Don't cut a piece and then tie it on. This will slow down the process.
To tie on the tulle:
*Fold piece of tulle in half, make a loop.
*Put loop end under the waistband
*Bring tails up over the waistband and through the tulle loop.
*Tighten....but NOT too tight.

TIP: If you tie the tulle too tightly AND space each strip too close to one another you won't only have a very expensive tutu (you'll use 2-3 times more tulle than you need) and spend 2-3 times longer to complete it, but you will also have a very full and UGLY tutu. Believe me. I know.

TIP: Make sure to tie each strip in the same direction....or the tutu will be a chaos of tulle. Not attractive. Again, I know.




EASY TIP: If the tutu is on an elastic waistband, put the elastic on your leg!! This makes is easy and FAST! I did two tutus while watching "Castle" (hubs favorite tv show) one night. I sat in my favorite chair with a bag of "pre-cut" tulle next to me and my elastic band around my leg.


Mission Accomplished!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stay-cation: Fun Things to Do Around Rochester, MN

Family vacations are expensive. Gas, lodging, meals...oh, and then there is the admission cost to all the cool things that you want to see. Vacations cost more than a small fortune. Now figure in the loss of income (some of us don't get paid vacations) and you've "broke the bank". Enter the stay-cation. Gas costs are reduced. Lodging is covered. Meals, although still necessary, can be made at home and packed in a cooler. This summer, instead of taking a week off, I am taking a couple long weekends. One weekend we will be traveling "Up North" to visit my husband's college buddy. Otherwise we're keeping our exploring near to home. Another benefit to a stay-cation is a little extra time for home projects. I can keep up with the laundry, instead of having a week's worth of laundry to do when I return home. Isn't that the worst part of vacation - the accumulation of dirty clothes you have to wash after being away from home all week? Gardening ca

Thy Will be Done

Years ago....June 2012 to be exact..... while at the hospital bedside of my daughter , I cried "Heal her!" which was followed with as much conviction, "Thy will by done". And I meant it. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray for God's will and not my own. The Holy Spirit equipped me to pray that whatever the outcome, he alone would be glorified. photo credit: Tessa Rampersad Since that time, "thy will be done" isn't as easy to pray when going about my normal, everyday life. How was it that I was able to so easily submit the future to his hands when I was facing my hardest days. Not by my power but by His. The past couple of weeks, as I prepared emotionally for the celebration of my youngest's 18th birthday, I've been revisiting this need to release my child into the hands of God. I've spent too many moments wondering if I've done my job in preparing my son for adulthood. I've spent too much time being anxious for his future

stripped bare

It's Friday which means it's time to dance and sing (the daycare kids and I have a song and dance to celebrate this glorious day). Friday is also the day in which Lisa-Jo hosts Five Minute Fridays and I humbly join the party of words strung together in five short minutes by a group of fantastic writers. The rules are simple. Lisa-Jo provides the word, write for five minutes flat, no backtracking/editing/over thinking, share your link at Lisa-Jo's, and share the love by reading what others have written. It's great fun and so inspiring. Won't you join us? I promise, you will be blessed! Today's word ~ BARE Lord, I want to be stripped bare.            Strip me of myself so there is more room for you. Strip me of my foolishness, my stubbornness, my selfishness.    Do nothing from  selfish ambition or  conceit, but in  humility count others more significant than yourselves  Phil. 2:3 And to man He said, "Behold, the fear of the Lord,